Revised Form I-9 is Now Live!
USCIS published a revised version of Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. Employers may continue using Form I-9 with a revision date of 03/08/2013 N. through Jan. 21, 2017. By Jan. 22, 2017, employers must use the revised form.
These are some of the changes in the new version:
- Employees only need to provide other last names used in Section 1, rather than all names used.
- The certification in Section 1 for certain foreign nationals takes less time to complete.
- There are additional spaces to enter multiple preparers and translators.
- There is a dedicated area to enter additional information that employers have been required to notate in the margins of the form.
Also, when the revised Form I-9 is completed on a computer, users will see:
- Checks to certain fields to ensure information is entered correctly.
- Drop-down lists and calendars.
- Instructions on the screen that users can access to complete each field.
- Buttons that will allow users to access the instructions electronically, print the form, and clear the form to start over.
Published by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
November 16, 2016